- What is Medicaid?
Medicaid is a state funded insurance that that provides coverage to low income families, pregnant women, newborns, and children that may not be able to afford to purchase their own care.
- Who is eligible for Medicaid?
The following individuals are eligible for Mississippi Medicaid:
- Children 0-18 with household incomes less than 209% of the Federal Poverty Limit (FPL);
- Pregnant women with household income less than 194% of the FPL;
- Parents with dependent children with household income less than 22% of the Federal Poverty Limit.
- How do I find out if I am eligible for Medicaid?
To find out if you are eligible for Medicaid, you must fill out an application for Medicaid or CHIP. You may fill out an application at any time of the year. See more on Medicaid.
- Will Medicaid cover my children?
Your household income level will determine if your child or children can be covered by Medicaid.
- What is CHIP?
CHIP is a program that supports children in families that cannot afford private health insurance, but whose household income is too high to qualify for Medicaid.
- Does Medicaid satisfy the health insurance requirement?
Yes, Medicaid will satisfy the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) health insurance requirement for the covered individuals.
- What information and documents should I have when I'm signing up for Medicaid?
Depending on the Medicaid program being applied for, you will need the following: Identity, Social Security, proof you live in Mississippi, proof of income, proof of medical costs, and bank account information.
- How does Obamacare work with Medicaid?
Because of Mississippi's Medicaid eligibility requirements, Obamacare does not impact people who qualify for Medicaid and vice versa. As such, tax credits are only available for people who are not eligible for other plans.
- What is Mississippi Health Benefits?
MIssissippi Health Benefits for Children provides health benefits for children from birth to age 19. The children are provided services through Medicaid based on various age and income limitations. This is the program that provides the majority of the coverage for Mississippi residents that qualify for Medicaid.